Watch WINGS OF HOPE Chapter 3 Performance Reading:
Novel Reading performed by actress Maya Woloszyn
Get to know writer Hillary Hoffman:
1. What is your novel about?
It is the journey of a father, who’s dying, and his daughter, who is learning how to live. He reminisces about his life, while teaching her to reach for her own dreams and live life to the fullest. When Jules receives a letter from her father saying that he’s been diagnosed with a terminal illness and has a very few months to live, she leaves her life in San Francisco to go to New York City to be with him. During his last few months, they have the chance to learn about each other and for him to give her the confidence to try and get the life she’s always wanted.
2. Why should this novel be read by people?
Because, unfortunately, at some point, everyone has the experience of losing a parent or loved one. This book is cathartic if you have lost someone and will make anyone who has someone they love realize that time is short.
3. How long have you been writing stories?
I’ve been writing about ten years now.
4. What movie have you seen the most in your life?
I’m not sure exactly, but I always stop to watch the Harry Potter films, Meet Joe Black, Field of Dreams and The Shawshank Redemption.
5. Do you think this novel could be adapted into a movie?
Yes, it takes place is a short period of time—three to four months and has a very specific issue—the relationship between a father and daughter when the father is dying.
6. How many stories have you written?
I’ve written three novels and a short story.
7. What motivated you to write this novel?
My father had a truly amazing life. When I was pregnant, I wanted to get his stories down to share with my child because my father was already deceased. That grew into a novel.
8. Describe your process; do you have a set routine, method for writing?
Sadly, I do not have a set routine. I write when I have time, which isn’t often right at the moment. I just write and go back and edit later.
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Reading, coffee, Christmas music, animals, fashion, yoga and travel
10. What influenced you to enter the WILDsound Festival? What was your feelings on the initial feedback your received?
It is exciting, and a little scary, for people to read my work. I’ve had a lot of people tell me that Wings of Hope was very meaningful to them and that makes me feel wonderful.
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Keep a running list of items you want to include in a book.
* * * * *
DEADLINE: 1st CHAPTER/FULL NOVEL Festival. FULL FEEDBACK. Get novel performed by professional actors
Get your story performed at the Writing Festival. FULL FEEDBACK on all entries.
WATCH the Recent Winning Short Story/1st Chapter Readings: