Today let’s get to know the poetry writing of Carolyn Urquhart. We just showcased her intense poem ALL IS DARK. Watch it here, performed by actress VAL COLE:
7 Questions with the Writer:
1) What is the theme of your poem?
The theme of my poem was included with the submission – domestic violence. My problem is that if any of my family members see the poem and it gets back to my husband it will literally be a life and death situation. So that makes it very difficult for me . But then , I doubt if any of them will be watching. Here’s hoping because my guardian angels already work overtime.
2) How would you like people to respond when they read or watch your poetry reading?
Just want the audience to feel sadness, sympathy, pain, empathy, anger
3) How long have you been writing poetry?
Started wring 25 yrs ago. Was told I was terrible ( at writing ) so stopped for a long time.
4) Do you have a favorite poet?
Henry Lawson – an Australian poet. His poetry could be ‘ down ‘ but he knew the soul – both male and female . He just knew people, life and humanity. Love his writing . Short stories fabulous too!
5) What influenced you to submit to WILDsound and have your poetry performed by a professional actor?
I felt alone and wanted someone else to KNOW what was happening to me.
6) Do you write other works? Scripts? Short Stories? Etc..?
I have written short stories , started a movie script and have finished the first draft of a novel. Unfortunately all of this was before I was married but I have ideas for a couple if novels, some short stories and even a movie script . Just need my confidence back .
7) What is your passion in life?
What is my passion . Do I even have one anymore? Seeing my family have the best possible lives they can . Not really a passion . My writing and painting ( landscapes in oils ) Although I can’t fulfil that part of me right now they are ‘ a part of me ‘ .