Watch Chapter 13 reading of Forty Days and Nine Months:
Reading performed by Steve Rizzo
Get to know writer James Jeffrey Paul:
1. What is your novel about?
A group of friends in a Union regiment during the last year of the Civil War, as they suffer (and sometimes die) in the war’s most brutal episodes–the battles of the 40 Days (the Wilderness, Spotsylvania, and Cold Harbor) and the seemingly endless siege of Petersburg.
2. Why should people read this novel?
It tells the often-ignored story of one of the most terrible episodes of the Civil War. It makes them understand the sacrifices, the suffering, the terrible ambiguities of this terrible and endlessly meaningful war.
3. How long have you been writing stories?
For forty years–since I was twelve.
4. What movie have you seen the most in your life?
Can’t say. Some movies I’ve seen dozens of times–CITIZEN KANE, the first two GODFATHER films, DR. STRANGELOVE, the original NOSFERATU.
5. What artists would you love to work with?
Ingmar Bergman, Jacques Tourneur, Stanley Kubrick, Martin Scorsese, Clint Eastwood
6. How many stories/screenplays have you written?
At least several–lost count.
7. What motivated you to write this novel?
My need to relive and try to understand these most terrible moments in the history of warfare. To try to render its emotional and spiritual meanings. To try to understand just what WAR itself means.
8. Describe your process; do you have a set routine, method for writing?
None, except to keep on writing.
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
History, music, drama, travel, art, current events.
10. What influenced you to enter the WILDsound Festival?
To see and hear a passage from my book being read aloud, performed, interpreted.
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
DON’T GIVE UP. NEVER GIVE UP. AND FOR GOD’S SAKE, DON’T EVER BELIEVE IN IMMEDIATE GRATIFICATION.
* * * * *
DEADLINE June 15th: 1st CHAPTER/FULL NOVEL Festival. FULL FEEDBACK. Get novel performed by professional actors
Get your story performed at the Writing Festival. FULL FEEDBACK on all entries.
WATCH the Recent Winning Short Story/1st Chapter Readings: