Watch the Chapter 1 Reading EMMA THE NERD AT THE END OF THE WORLD:
Novel performed by actress Val Cole
Get to know writer Cathy Herbert:
1. What is your novel about?
We’re all on a journey to “become,” to see what we might be capable of, what our futures might hold. This novel focuses on what happens when everything you’ve worked for in the struggle to define “who you are” might be ripped away forever. Against all odds, how can you hang on to who you are–and those you love?
2. Why should this novel be read by people?
This exploration of personal identity underscores how fragile our lives are and how fortunate each of us is to be able to strive to achieve our own sense of self.
3. How would you describe this novel in two words?
4. What movie have you seen the most in your life?
Lawrence of Arabia. I can recite most of the dialogue.
5. How long have you been working on this novel?
Intermittently for the past year or two.
6. Do you have an all-time favorite novel?
I tend to love parts of various novels, particular chapters and sections.
7. What motivated you to write this novel?
I liked the construct of self-invention and self-reinvention.
8. What artist would you love to have dinner with?
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
I own and show reining horses. I describe it as faster than NASCAR and more precise than golf. It’s a very difficult sport and a small world of extremely dedicated people.
10. What influenced you to enter the Novel Festival?
I saw a listing for it.
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Seek out criticism and feedback–and take it seriously.
* * * * *
DEADLINE: 1st CHAPTER/FULL NOVEL Festival.
Get your story performed at the Writing Festival. FULL FEEDBACK on all entries.
WATCH the Recent Winning Short Story/1st Chapter Readings: