Watch the Chapter 1 Reading of TEMPEST MAKERS:
Reading performed by actor Jason Martorino
Get to know writer K.L. McKinley:
1. What is your novel about?
Tempest Makers is the first in a science-fiction novella trilogy in which a human and an Earth-born alien face hostile natives on the alien’s home planet and are drawn into a deepening mystery with dire consequences for them and the future of both worlds.
2. Why should this novel be read by people?
I think it has a simple message of how people of different cultures and backgrounds treat one another while on another level something dark and complex is taking shape.
3. How would you describe this novel in two words?
4. What movie have you seen the most in your life?
Wizard of Oz
5. How long have you been working on this novel?
About a year and a half
6. Do you have an all-time favorite novel?
Kindred by Octavia Butler
7. What motivated you to write this novel?
It was a submission piece for an anthology with a word count that got out of hand. It had the potential to be a prequel because the final story in the trilogy had been written first, but I have mixed feelings about prequels in general so I had a chance to change the history of the major characters.
8. What artist would you love to have dinner with?
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Affordable and accessible mental health care for anyone who needs it
10. What influenced you to enter the Novel Festival?
A chance to share my work with a wider audience and reap the benefits of their feedback.
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Never stop learning your craft.