Watch the Video Pitch for the Novel GETAWAY DAY:
Get to know writer Ken White:
- What is your story about?
In 1962, a California teen learns of his dying father’s dream to play catch with his idol, Yankee baseball legend Mickey Mantle. In a desperate race against time to fulfill his father’s wish, the boy discovers more about life, growing up, and family than he ever imagined.
- Why should people know this story?
The backdrop is the 1962 World Series between the New York Yankees and the San Francisco Giants.
- This story has a lot going for it. How would you describe this story in two words?
Coming of Age.
- What movie have you seen the most in your life?
It’s a Wonderful Life
- How long have you been working on this story?
- How many stories have you written?
Three published novels, one children’s book, two produced stage plays, fifteen screenplays, one sitcom pilot, numerous short stories, flash fiction, and essays.
- What motivated you to write this story?
My father, my family, and my love of baseball.
- Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Music, movies, and sports.
- Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Be patient and persistent. Don’t procrastinate. It’s all about butt in the chair, words on the page.