Watch the July 2016 Winning Best Scene Screenplay Reading.
ELAN VITAL, TV PILOT by Maroun Rached
Genre: Fantasy, Crime, Thriller, Sci-Fi
Synopsis: The world in the 2050’s is split into democratic regimes and Elohite theocracies, states run by the clergy of a new extremist faith. Elohite specially trained agents infiltrate the US and commit terrorist attacks using paranormal powers. A team of local paranormals is recruited to stop them.
Get to know the winning writer:
1. What is your screenplay about?
People with paranormal powers (mostly telekinetic) recruited by the government to find and stop terrorists possessing the same powers.
2. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
Into a series actually 🙂 It could be lots of fun, in the same style as “Heroes”, “Alphas” or the “Tomorrow People”
3. How would you describe this script in two words?
4. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Pink Floyd’s “The Wall”
5. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
Around 6 months
6. How many stories have you written?
7. What motivated you to write this screenplay?
The pleasure of writing Sci-Fi stories
8. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Imperfections, plot holes, contradictions in some characters’ behavior…
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Architecture, Music, and Arts in general
10. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I entered it in many competitions; this one was very well rated on MovieBytes. My feelings on my initial feedback (which was a rejection) was disappointment at first; but then, I took into consideration all the points of the constructive criticism it contained, and the story improved drastically.
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Yes. Write every day, even if just 2 pages: you’ll finish 60 pages in one month. Then re-write and re-edit…
Director/Producer: Matthew Toffolo http://www.matthewtoffolo.com
Casting Director: Sean Ballantyne
Editor: John Johnson