Watch the July 2016 Winning 1pg. Short Screenplay
THE TRENCH by Chris Beadnell
Get to know the winning writer Chris Beadnell:
1. What is your screenplay about?
A moment in time during the fierce WW1 Battle of the Somme. It focuses on a decision made by a young soldier. A decision that, if he was to survive the war, he may have later regretted.
2. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
This would make a very short but intensely powerful film. The final twist is sure to have the audience walking out with a dilemma of conscience and a sense of what might have been. Or what might NOT have been.
3. How would you describe this script in two words?
4. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
The Shawshank Redemption
5. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
It took about 2 weeks. About an hour to write and then some hard core editing
6. How many stories have you written?
About 11- 12. Quite a few others in various stages of completion
7. What motivated you to write this screenplay?
I wanted to write a one page screenplay as an exercise in learning the art of keeping only the important parts to tell the story, and learn how to cull the unnecessary in a body of work. The story itself is based loosely on fact.
8. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Keeping the script to one page. My first draft was almost 3 pages long! As a learning exercise it was great to study the script in such an intimate way to know what had to stay and what could be discarded. It was not an easy process.
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Sport and humanitarianism.
10. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Just write. And edit, and edit and edit. Post your work on trusted script writing forums to get ideas and feedback. When you are comfortable, enter your work in comps.
Director/Producer: Matthew Toffolo http://www.matthewtoffolo.com
Editor: John Johnson
Casting Director: Sean Ballantyne