Watch the 140 Character Short Story: Rise of the Machines
Get to know writer Mark Turley:
1) What is your very short story about?
Technophobia, I suppose its a little parody of I-Robot or Terminator or something like that.
2) What motivated you to write this story and submit it to the festival?
I am actually quite disconcerted by Twitter and texting and the way it is remoulding language into something sub-literate, so was intrigued by the idea of trying to write a story in a Tweet. There was something redemptive about it.
3) What movie have you seen the most in your life?
I love films and watch them constantly. Very hard to pick but perhaps the one I’ve seen the most would be ‘Enter the Dragon’. Bruce Lee was a physical genius and stuff from the 70s has a great feel. Cool soundtrack too.
4) How many scripts and stories have you written?
Many, many stories. I’m actually working on a script at the moment. Its about boxing.
5) What artists would you love to work with?
Paolo Sorrentino, he’s a fucking genius.
6) What is your passion in life?
Cheesy, but my kids. My older daughter’s quirky and my 3 year old, well she’s a fucking genius, too. And I do actually mean that. Childhood is genius.
7) Any tips for other writers who want to write a 140 character short story?
Start at the beginning, push through the middle then finish at the end. Its always the same.
- * * * * *
Submit your own Twitter Short Story for FREE to the Festival:
Performer: Becky Shrimpton
Director/Producer: Matthew Toffolo
Editor: John Johnson