Watch the Best Scene Reading of FEI JI:
NARRATOR – Laura Kyswaty
TOM – Ben Hur
HUNG BO – Chris Reid-Geisler
COLONEL PAO – Gabriel Darku
JOAN – Angelica Alejandro
Get to know the writer James C. Peters:
1. What is your screenplay about?
In the early 1900s young Chinese Americans, recruited to learn to fly and take “aeroplanes” to China, faced isolation from their families, jealousy, and danger when they accepted the challenge.
2. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
It’s a tremendous human interest story of two young men who risked everything, including their lives, to tackle the adventure of a lifetime.
3. How would you describe this story in one sentence?
In the early 1900s a young Chinese American and his friend sacrificed everything and risked their lives to take the first airplane to China.
4. What movie have you seen the most in your life?
A FEW GOOD MEN, SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS…
5. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
Off and on for over seven years.
6. How many stories have you written?
7. What motivated you to write this screenplay
I read an article about a woman whose grandfather, purportedly, had been the first Chinese pilot in the country. After I contacted her about writing his story, she passed away before I could interview her, but I decided I must write it anyway.
8. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Principally, finding out the truth about who were the first pilots in China.
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Helping people less fortunate than me.
10. What influenced you to enter the WILDsound Festival?
What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received? The WILDsound Festival not only offers avenues for success for emerging screenwriters and filmmakers, but also for young actors and film crew.
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Master the elements of your craft. Especially, don’t send poorly conceived and crafted work to film producers.
* * * * *
DEADLINE: Submit your best scene from your screenplay. Have it performed using professional actors:
WATCH the past best scene readings and see what happens when you submit: