Genre: Action, Adventure, Crime, Fantasy
After the events of Captain America: Civil War, Natasha Romanoff is on the run. Branded a fugitive for violating the Sokovia Accords, Natasha tries to keep her head down and lay low, but there’s no rest for the world’s greatest spy…
Get to know the writer:
1. What is your screenplay about?
The story follows Natasha Romanoff, better known as the Black Widow, after the events of Captain America: Civil War, so it’s set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Natasha was branded a fugitive for violating the Sokovia Accords and is currently being hunted from all sides. She must not only protect herself but also a young girl from her past: Ava Orlova.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
Action, Sci-Fi, Spy Thriller
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
Not only have fans wanted to see Natasha Romanoff shine in her own standalone franchise for years, it’s also a ripe time in the industry to make female-lead superhero films. I think this story serves as a unique take on the genre, focusing on a dual-protagonist, sisterly dynamic between Natasha and Ava. That, combined with Marvel’s winning formula for making superhero films, would make for a successful movie of an iconic character.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Definitely Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Also Stepbrothers.
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
Start to finish, I’d say about a year. The process was broken up by my college courses and job, so I worked on it whenever I had time.
7. How many stories have you written?
This is actually the first screenplay I’ve ever written, which is why the writing process took a bit longer than normal. I first had to learn how to construct an actual script, with regards to formatting, editing, etc.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
That’s definitely a tough one. I’d say “Rather Be” by Clean Bandit or “You Need Me I Don’t Need You” by Ed Sheeran.
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
I think deciding which characters to include in Natasha’s story was a challenge, considering the extensive line-up of heroes in the MCU. Also, mapping out the script and making sure it was coherent, with regards to plot holes and character arcs, was another challenge as well. However, I really enjoyed the process of constructing Natasha’s story. I have a large amount of material that either changed or didn’t make the final draft, which enriched the editing process and added to the overall satisfaction of completing the script.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Most definitely music. I’m a songwriter and am hoping to get into Music Supervision after college. I love reading, travelling, and video games. I’m also currently working on a sequel to this screenplay.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
It was a very seamless process. I had no trouble submitting my script or payment.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
Seeing as this was a passion project of mine, I really wanted to have an industry professional’s point of view, as having a knowledgeable set of eyes reading the script would benefit the story. The feedback was fantastic. It was critical without being negative, bettered the script overall, and increased my confidence as a screenwriter.
Producer: Matthew Toffolo http://www.matthewtoffolo.com
Director: Kierston Drier
Casting Director: Sean Ballantyne
Editor: John Johnson
Camera Op: Mary Cox