Watch the August 2015 Short Screnplay Winner:
NARRATOR – Susan Wilson
DOCTOR – Charles Gordon
FEMALE – Maya Woloszyn
Get to know writer Piotr Jamróz:
1. What is your short film script about?
It’s a story about mental illness which, like a prison, takes away man’s freedom and tears people apart.
2. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
It’s a short, low-budget and (I hope) emotionally appealing and thrilling story.
3. How would you describe this story in one sentence?
A man tries to escape from a prison no one has ever escaped from before.
4. What movie have you seen the most in your life?
It’s probably Coca-Cola Christmas commercial with a truck! When I was I child, I would see it every year 🙂 But seriously, it’s a really tough question. I don’t usually watch movies more than once.
5. This is a very tight, emotionally engaging and a screenplay that’s so well written and descriptive. You can see the film. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
I came up with the idea about six years ago, but I couldn’t put all the pieces together. I decided to give it another go this year and it worked out. The script was ready in a week, but… it means that it took me six years to write three pages!
6. How many stories have you written?
Over 20 shoddy short scripts.
7. What motivated you to write this screenplay?
Inability to turn the idea that I loved into an interesting story chased me like a recurring nightmare! I just had to write it to stay sane.
8. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Showing two worlds is tricky. When there’s no connection between them, it feels tacky. The biggest challenge was to find the best way to link what happens in Harry’s head and in the real world.
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
I’m a flash in the pan and I enjoy short-lived passions. I try to explore new things every now and then. Currently, it’s foodpairing and sketching!
10. What influenced you to enter the WILDsound Festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
There’s nothing worse for a writer than hearing just “no”, without any feedback. And there’s nothing more rewarding than seeing how others interpret your work. WILDsound festival is the place where constructive feedback and creative interpretation meet together. That’s why I chose it and it definitely met my expectations!
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Don’t listen to a guy who spends 6 years to write 3 pages! 🙂 However, what I’ve learnt writing this script is that it’s good to look back at your previous projects. Failures from the past may be turned into something interesting.
* * * * *
DEADLINE: SHORT Screenplay Contest Festival SAVE $10 – FULL FEEDBACK. Get script performed at festival (winner every month)
Watch Recent Winning Short Screenplay Readings:
Read Recent Testimonials about the Short Screenplay Festival: