A young girl struggles between helping her family, and doing the right thing.
Jasmine: Alicia Payne
Dale: Scott McCulloch
Harry: Rais Moui
Narrator: Hugh Ritchie
Gretchen: Lara Amersey
Maria: Georgia Grant
Bridget: Jane Smythe
Get to know the writer:
1. What is your screenplay about?
The Seeker is a story about a young girl who struggles to find the balance between helping her family and actually doing the right thing.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
I would consider The Seeker to be a drama.
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
Personally, I think this story is just flat out entertaining. I love a story with a smart twist and The Seeker definitely has one. It is filled with tender visuals and I think it would be a fun movie to direct. It would be challenging, but rewarding.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Hmm… wow that’s a tough one. It’s probably a toss up between The Never Ending Story and No Country For Old Men… don’t judge!!
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
Funny enough, I’ve been working on this script since I was a sophomore in college, 2011. I’d forgotten that I’d written it, but found an old PDF and fell in love with the idea again. It was cool to see how I’ve progressed as a writer from one of the first screenplays I’d ever written.
7. How many stories have you written?
I’ve written probably 50 short films & sketches since 2011 when I started and I’ve gotten to 1/2 of a feature!
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
I used to have a big crush on a guy who was seriously into Gerry Raferty so I’ve probably listened to “Right Down The Line” over 1,000 times. Ha!
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
I had a certain story in my head and when I thought it was finished, I got critiques from a couple of people wanting more. I still get them. It’s hard to get suggestions from other people and still stay true to the story you want to tell. Overall, I think the changes I made based on their suggestions made for a stronger story. It’s always good to get a fresh set of eyes.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
I love working with children. They are so unafraid to express how they feel, but may not always know how to articulate it. They taught me how to be a better instructor and a better director.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
Working via Film Freeway makes submitting to festivals extremely easy!! There are so many festivals to submit to right at your fingertips.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I read the title of the festival and knew I needed feedback on The Seeker and thought, could this get anymore perfect? The Seeker is a troubling story about a family, and it’s so hard to get friends to read anything so it just seemed like fate was saying “Enter this one Kaitlyn!”. It was an entry fee well spent!
I felt like the feedback was incredibly insightful. I really felt like the feedback giver was invested in the success of my story and did what they could to have made it stronger. I thank you for that!
Producer: Matthew Toffolo http://www.matthewtoffolo.com
Director: Kierston Drier
Casting Director: Sean Ballantyne
Editor: Kimberly Villarruel
Camera Op: Mary Cox