The Modern Family SPEC is a December 2015 TV Screenplay Winner.
Watch MODERN FAMILY by Debi Calabro:
Get to know writer Debi Calabro:
1. What is your spec for the Modern Family TV show about?
This episode it about the ups and the downs of parenthood but ultimately it’s all good in the end.
2. Why does this spec fit into the context of the show?
The spec shows the same tone and humor as the other episodes. All the characters have a chance to make themselves heard as individuals and also how they contribute to the family unit.
3. This story has a lot going for it. How would you describe this script in two words?
4. What movie have you seen the most in your life?
5. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
6. How many stories have you written?
At least 15 features, two 1hour pilots, one sit-com pilot and this spec script
7. What motivated you to write this screenplay?
I love the show.
8. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
With this screenplay I didn’t face any obstacles. I know and love the characters so well it was an easy one to write.
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
10. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I’ve been working with Wildsound on another project and they were very helpful with their feedback so I entered this one into the contest which won first time out.
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
If you are really passionate and love writing, never give up. As long as you love it, it’s worth the journey.