October 2015 Winning Short Screenplay
Watch TRUE COLORS, by Giuseppe LiMandri
NARRATOR – Allison Kampf
MICHAEL – Hugh Ritchie
PHIL – Sean Kaufmann
ROSE – Susan Wilson
NURSE – Meggie McKinnon
Get to know writer Giuseppe LiMandri:
1. What is your screenplay about?
I would say that my screenplay is above all about forgiveness. A soldier coming back from Iraq with PTSD has fallen on hard times. He comes home to his dying father and to a mother who has run out of patience and understanding. In a sense the young man in my story is a prodigal son who is saved by his father’s unquestioning love. He comes to ask forgiveness to his parents but first he has to forgive himself.
2. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
The subject matter of my script is very current and extremely important. Many young men and women have come back from war with physical and emotional wounds. All of us ( family members and not) need to have a better understanding of what they endured and we have to learn how to support them.
3. How would you describe this story in two words?
Love and forgiveness
4. What movie have you seen the most in your life?
I love “As good as it gets” and watch it every time I get a chance. The screenplay is truly “As good as it gets” in my opinion. It is funny, clever, full of meaning. Excellent writing.
5. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
About 4 months. Usually when I write something I put it aside and go back to it few weeks later to polish it. I might repeat the process 2 or 3 times before I send it out to be read. This screenplay was no exception.
6. How many stories have you written?
Ten that I consider completed. At least ten more that are at different stages of completion.
7. What motivated you to write this screenplay?
A coworker of mine was telling me about how the life of her brother and the rest of her family had been affected by the war in Iraq.
8. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
It is not easy to fully develop characters and tell a complex story in 15 pages (the typical length of a “short” screenplay). I like the challenge of that format, however.
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Mental health in children. I believe mental disease in children should be recognized and treated as early as possible.
10. What influenced you to enter the WILDsound Festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
The opportunity to have my work read and interpreted by talented actors. Having your work read is truly an amazing privilege. The WILDsound review was very helpful, fair and thoughtful. I read it very carefully.
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Keep writing. That’s the only way to get better.
* * * * *
DEADLINE: SHORT Screenplay Contest Festival SAVE $10 – FULL FEEDBACK. Get script performed at festival (winner every month)
Watch Recent Winning Short Screenplay Readings:
Read Recent Testimonials about the Short Screenplay Festival: